|Chinese Lantern Festival Shanghai|
- Clean your house well in advance of the New Year. Do not sweep or clean on New Year’s day or it will represent you sending your wealth out the door. All brooms need to hidden and not visible.
- Wear red since it is believed to be a happy color and symbolizes a bright future.
- Give red envelopes filed with crisp dollar bills to children.
- Decorate your home with nuts and sweets on a beautiful tray. You can also add chocolate gold coins to this mix as well.
- Entertain your friends and laugh and enjoy the evening.
- Open every door and every window on the stroke of midnight to let out the old year.
- Clear your mind of “clutter” this day and keep your thoughts bright and optimistic for the coming New Year.
- Don’t scold your children or cry on this day, for if you do, it will symbolize how your coming year will play out for you.
- Postpone washing your hair this day as you will be washing out your good luck.
- Display large bowls of oranges on the tables to give to your friends and family as gifts.
Author: Yvonne Phillips